- Al-Makahleh S., Cafiero G., “The Militarization of the Red Sea”, LobeLog, 10 January 2018 https://lobelog.com/the-militarization-of-the-red-sea/, accessed on 16 January 2018.
- Al-Saqqaf A. B., L’unité yéménite, de la fusion inmédiate à la colonisation intérieure, (London, Bareed al-Janoub, 1996), quoted in Phillips S., Yemen’s Democracy Experiment in Regional Perspective, (New York, Palgrave Macmillan, 2008).
- Albrecht H., “Cain and Abel in the Land of Sheba: Elite Conflict and the Military”, in Albrecht Holger-Croissant A. Lawson F.H (eds), Armies and Insurgencies in the Arab Spring, (Pennsylvania, University of Pennsylvania Press, 2016), chapter 6.
- Ardemagni E., “UAE-Backed Militias Maximize Yemen’s Fragmentation”, IAI Commentaries, Istituto Affari Internazionali, 29 August 2017, http://www.iai.it/it/pubblicazioni/uae-backed-militias-maximize-yemens-fragmentation accessed on 18 January 2018.
- Ardemagni E., “From Insurgents to Hybrid Security Actors? Deconstructing Yemen’s Huthi Movement”, ISPI Analysis, Italian Institute for International Political Studies (ISPI), April 2017, n°315 http://www.ispionline.it/it/pubblicazione/insurgents-hybrid-security-actors-deconstructing-yemens-huthi-movement-16546 accessed on 26 January 2018.
- Ardemagni E., “United Arab Emirates’ Armed Forces in the Federation-Building Process: Seeking for Ambitious Engagement”, International Studies Journal, 47, Winter 2016, vol.12, no.3, pp. 3-62.
- Ardemagni E., “La Cina e Aden: la difesa dell’interesse nazionale nei mari lontani”, in “La via della seta tra Corno d’Africa e Medio Oriente”, Orizzonte Cina, Torino World Affairs Institute (T.wai)-Istituto Affari Internazionali (IAI), VI, n°6, novembre-dicembre 2015, https://www.twai.it/articles/la-cina-e-aden-la-difesa-dellinteresse-nazionale-nei-mari-lontani/ accessed on 18 January 2018.
- Barany Z., “The Challenges of Building a National Army in Yemen”, Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), Burke Chair in Strategy, 2016 https://www.csis.org/analysis/challenges-building-national-army-Yemen, accessed on 28 December 2017.
- Boxberger L. On the Edge of Empire: Hadhramawt, Emigration, and the Indian Ocean, (Albany, State University of New York Press, 2002).
- Dorlian S., La mouvance zaydite dans le Yémen contemporain. Une modernisation avortée, (Paris, L’Harmattan, 2013).
- Fargher J., “´This Presence Will Continue Forever`: An Assessment of Iranian Naval Capabilities in the Red Sea”, Center for International Maritime Security, 5 April 2017, http://cimsec.org/presence-continue-forever-assessment-iranian-naval-capabilities-red-sea/31593 accessed on 15 January 2018.
- Gause G. F. III, “Beyond Sectarianism: The New Middle East Cold War”, Brookings, Report, 22 July 2014
https://www.brookings.edu/research/beyond-sectarianism-the-new-middle-east-cold-war/ accessed on 2 September 2014.
- Human Rights Watch, “Yemen: UAE Backs Abusive Local Forces”, 22 June 2017, https://www.hrw.org/node/305089
- Jean C., Geopolitica, (Roma-Bari, Laterza, 1995).
- Karasik T., Vaughan J., “Middle East Maritime Security. The Growing Role of Regional and Extraregional Navies”, The Washington Institute for Near East Policy (WINEP), Policy Notes 41, 2017
, accessed on 15 January 2018.
- Kendall E., “Yemen’s Eastern Province: the People of Mahra Clearly Want Independence”, Oxpol-The Oxford University Politics Blog, 6 February 2014, http://blog.politics.ox.ac.uk/yemens-eastern-province-people-mahra-clearly-want independence/, accessed on 17 April 2016.
- Knights M., Mello A., “West of Suez for the United Arab Emirates”, War On The Rocks, 2 September 2016,
, accessed on 14 September 2016.
- Krieg A., Socio-Political Order and Security in the Arab World: From Regime Security to Public Security, (Springer, 2017).
- Lawson F. H., “GCC Policies Toward the Red Sea, the Horn of Africa and Yemen: Ally-Adversary Dilemmas”, in “Foreign Policy Trends in the GCC States”, Gulf Affairs, OxGAPS University of Oxford, Autumn 2017 https://www.oxgaps.org/files/Gulf_affairs_autumn_2017_full_issue.pdf.
- Lewis A., Security, Clans and Tribes: Unstable Governance in Somaliland, Yemen and the Gulf of Aden, (New York, Palgrave Macmillan, 2015).
- Luckham R, Kirk T., “The Two Faces of Security in Hybrid Political Orders: A Framework for Analysis and Research”, Stability: International Journal of Security & Development, 2013.
- Middle East Monitor, “UAE-backed Egyptian forces arrive in Eritrea”, 4 January 2018, https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20180104-uae-backed-egyptian-forces-arrive-in eritrea/amp/?__twitter_impression=true, accessed on 13 January 2018.
- Nichols M., “Exclusive: Yemen rebel missiles fired at Saudi Arabia appear Iranian - U.N.”, Reuters, 1 December 2017,
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-yemen-security-un-exclusive/exclusive-yemen-rebel-missiles-fired-at-saudi-arabia-appear-iranian-u-n-idUSKBN1DU36N accessed on 2 December 2017.
- Petouris T., “Hadhrami ´Exceptionalism`: Attempts at an Explanation”, in Brehony N. (ed), Hadhramaut and its Diaspora. Yemeni Politics, Identity and Migration, (London, I.B. Tauris, 2017), chapter 2.
- Peutz N., “Revolution in Socotra. A Perspective from Yemen’s Periphery”, Middle East Report, Middle East Research and Information Project (MERIP), 2012 http://www.merip.org/mer/mer263/revolution-socotra accessed on 15 February 2016.
- Reuters, “Turkey to restore Sudanese Red Sea port and build naval dock”, 26 December 2017 https://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-sudan-port/turkey-to-restore-sudanese-red-sea-port-and-build-naval-dock-idUSKBN1EK0ZC accessed on 16 January 2018.
- Salisbury P., “Yemen, National Chaos, Local Order”, Chatham House, Research Paper, December 2017,
https://www.chathamhouse.org/publication/yemen-national-chaos-local-order accessed on 4 January 2018.
- Smillie I. (ed), Patronage or Partnership: Local Capacity Building in Humanitarian Crises, (International Development Research Centre (IDRS), Bloomfield Humanitarian Press, 2001).
- United Nations Security Council, “Final Report of the Panel of Experts on Yemen” (S/2017/81), 31 January 2017, p. 18,
http://undocs.org/S/2017/81 accessed on 20 August 2017.
- Wendt A., “Anarchy is what States Make of it: The Social Construction of Power Politics”, International Organization, Vol. 46, No. 2, Spring 1992, pp. 391-425.